Luminate Projects is a newly formed company within Luminate, part of The Omidyar Group. The new company will support the creation of innovative new initiatives in partnership with other foundations. This position will be a part of the first of these new initiatives focused on addressing the problem of digital threats to democracy. The new initiative will work:
- globally to change how technology markets impact democracy with new rules and standards.
- to raise expectations of what the Internet can be by supporting education, civic engagement, and new technologies that serve citizens over profits.
- to steer the Internet back into better alignment with the interests of democracy.
The new initiative will engage globally in both operational as well as programmatic philanthropic work. That means we will work directly on policy and technology development, lobbying, coalition building, and public communication – all related to the problems of digital threats to democracy. We will take an active role in places where there are gaps in the community working on these policy issues. In addition to our operational activities, we will make targeted grants and contracts to support partner organisations doing complementary work around the world.
Summary of Position
The Director of Advocacy & Campaign Support reports to the Executive Director of the new initiative within Luminate Projects. It is a senior leadership position expected to significantly contribute to all of the organization’s short- and long-term strategy development as part of the executive team. In particular, the role will hold primary responsibility for building an advocacy and campaigning strategy that can be shared across a network of allied organizations. In addition, the position will lead engagement with civic campaigns and partnership development with constituency groups. The position is part of the founding leadership team tasked with launching, growing and establishing this new initiative as an effective force for progressive change at the intersection of democracy and technology. The position could be based in one of our priority countries – Washington DC or London preferred.
- Develop and oversee advocacy and campaign strategy as well as support -- story-telling, messaging, narrative building, activism and mobilization -- for a network of organizations around the world working with this initiative on digital threats to democracy;
- Oversee all message testing, survey instruments, and public opinion measurement – engaging with researchers and polling firms as needed;
- Oversee the development and testing of campaign tactics – awareness building, activism and at-scale mobilization – that can be shared with partner organizations whose work this initiative supports;
- Find and develop partnerships with other funders in supporting work related to advocacy and campaigning about the problem and solutions to digital threats to democracy;
- Find and develop partnerships with civic organizations engaged in campaigns and narrative building to shape public opinion and mobilize stakeholders to call for reform;
- Engage directly with partner organizations engaged in advocacy and campaigning work to support the optimization of their efforts;
- Serve as an evangelist and public speaker at conferences and events related to digital threats to democracy;
- Stay abreast of the latest policy and research in the field and maintain expert-level fluency in translating key policy ideas into campaigns targeted at expert as well as lay audiences;
- Oversee the work to disseminate a narrative about the nature of the digital threats to democracy and a counter-narrative that articulates a future without these harms;
- Write and publish OpEds on behalf of the team;
- Work to support the positioning of partner organizations in the media.
- The Luminate communications team will have a staff member dedicated to communications for this Initiative. That staff member will have a dotted reporting line to the Director, Advocacy & Campaign support, with a focus on:
- managing communications for the new initiative, including brand, brand narrative, visual identity;
- managing media relations for the new initiative, including the deployment of team members to engage with the media or public speaking opportunities.
Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated commitment to public service and a passion for the mission of working at the intersection of technology and democracy;
- Substantial experience in civic engagement, organizing, campaigning or related activity, including at a senior level;
- Demonstrated understanding/practice of best practices in the field including digital campaigning, messaging/media optimization, and online/offline community building;
- Demonstrated impact in data-driven organizing and campaigning with clear evaluation benchmarks;
- High comfort level with audacious goals, grand challenges, multiple streams of work at once and high degree of ambiguity (i.e. learning as you go);
- Experience working and leading in a global organization with substantial time spent working in Global South countries strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated skill in taking lessons from the field and integrating them into next iterations of implementation internally and with partners/collaborators;
- Demonstrated history of strong media relationships and ability to build new communities of media allies that can be deployed at key strategic moments;
- Experience as a manager who understands how to nurture great people and help them grow into leaders, how to build their confidence and create a results-driven culture of supportive risk-taking and experimentation;
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening
Luminate believes that diversity and inclusion make us more successful in our work, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or national law.